- Headlines for March 23, 2017
- Jane Mayer on Robert Mercer & the Dark Money Behind Trump and Bannon
- Dark Money Billionaires Push for Pro-Nuclear Radiation Climate Denier for White House Science Post
- Dark Data: Trump Backers Bankroll Firm Developing Psychological Profiles of Every U.S. Voter
- Headlines for March 22, 2017
- A Driver Fled His Truck to Avoid Freezing to Death. Only One Judge Ruled Against Him: Neil Gorsuch
- Neil Gorsuch, Backed by $10 Million in Dark Money, Refuses to Weigh In on Citizens United
- Sen. Schumer Calls on Democrats to Boycott Neil Gorsuch Vote While Trump is Under FBI Investigation
- Meet 2 U.S. Citizens Detained at Airports: A Police Chief and a Lawyer Who Sued Trump Administration
- Headlines for March 21, 2017
- Behind Neil Gorsuch's Rhetoric, His Record Suggests Aggressive Judge Wedded to Conservative Agenda
- Inside How the Federalist Society & Koch Brothers Are Pushing for Trump to Reshape Federal Judiciary
- FBI Head: Trump Campaign Under Investigation for Ties to Russia; No Evidence Obama Wiretapped Trump
James Comey Confirms FBI Probe of Trump Campaign over Ties with Russian Government Ahead of Election
On Monday FBI Director James Comey confirmed an FBI probe into the Trump campaign over Russian interference in the election and denied the president's claim that former President Barack Obama wiretapped Trump Tower.
Comey said the FBI was "investigating the nature of any links between individuals associated with the Trump campaign and the Russian government and whether there was any coordination between the campaign and Russia's efforts."
Comey went on to say, "With respect to the president's tweets about alleged wiretapping directed at him by the prior administration, I have no information that supports those tweets."
- Headlines for March 20, 2017
- Zephyr Teachout: Supreme Court Pick Neil Gorsuch "Sides with Big Business, Big Donors & Big Bosses"
- Ari Berman Reveals Neil Gorsuch Praised a Leading GOP Activist Behind Voter Suppression Efforts
- College Classmate: Neil Gorsuch Attacked Anti-Apartheid & Civil Rights Protesters & Defended Contras
- Amid Spike in Civilian Deaths from U.S. Strikes, Trump Requests Lifting Policy Limiting Casualties
- Organizer: ICE Detention of Immigrant Rights Activists in VT is Clear Case of Political Retaliation
- Headlines for March 17, 2017
- Trump's Budget Director Mick Mulvaney Insists Cutting Meals for Poor Seniors is Compassionate
- Ralph Nader Denounces Trump Budget as Corporatist, Militarist & Racist: "The Mask is Off"
- Is Trump Counterterrorism Aide Sebastian Gorka a Sworn Member of Hungarian Nazi-Allied Group?
- Headlines for March 16, 2017
- In Stinging Blow to President, Hawaii & Maryland Judges Block Trump's Second Muslim Ban
- Rep. Gutiérrez Speaks Out After Being Handcuffed for Demanding Answers on ICE Raids & Deportations
- Complete Idiocy: Rep. Gutiérrez Slams Rep. King's Racist Tweet About "Somebody Else's Babies"
- ACLU Lawyer Esha Bhandari on Your Rights If Border Agents Try to Seize Your Cell Phone at the Border
- In Historic Report, U.N. Agency Says Israel Is Imposing an "Apartheid Regime" on Palestinian People
- Headlines for March 15, 2017
- David Cay Johnston Speaks Out About Receiving & Revealing 2 Pages of Trump's 2005 Tax Returns
- David Cay Johnston: How Trump Pays So Little in Taxes and Plans to Change Tax Law to Pay Even Less
- Aid Worker Decries U.S.-Backed "Relentless War" in Yemen Causing Widespread Threat of Starvation
- Trump Considers Slashing U.S. Funding to U.N. Amid Warnings of Worst Humanitarian Crisis Since WWII
- Arkansas Rushes to Execute 8 Men Using Drug Linked to Painful, Botched Executions
- Headlines for March 14, 2017
- Healthcare or Wealthcare? 24 Million to Lose Insurance Under GOP Plan While Rich Get Big Tax Breaks
- ALEC & For-Profit Health Industry Embrace GOP Bill Despite Opposition from Doctors & Nurses
- Was Firing of U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara Done to Cover Up Probes of Trump & Fox News?
- Is Jared Kushner Breaking the Law with $400M Real Estate Deal with Firm Tied to Chinese Gov't?
- From Lobbyists to Reality Show Stars, Meet the Hundreds of Officials Trump Has Quietly Installed
- Headlines for March 13, 2017
- How to Remove a President: Mass Protests Force Out South Korean Leader Amid Corruption Scandal
- Bruce Cumings: North Korea Timed Recent Missile Test to Take Place During Trump-Abe Dinner
- China Warns U.S. & North Korea Are Set for "Head-On" Collision Amid Rising Tensions & Provocations
- Mustafa Ali: Meet the Top EPA Environmental Justice Official Who Quit to Protest Pruitt & Trump
In New York, thousands of women marched from Washington Square Park past the site of the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire, the deadliest workplace accident in New York City’s history and a seminal moment for the American labor rights movement. They proceeded past the historic LGBTQ landmark, Stonewall Inn, in the West Village and then ended the march in Zuccotti Park, the site of the 2011 Occupy Wall Street uprising. Democracy Now!’s Deena Guzder and Charina Nadura spoke to some of the protesters in this extended report.
- Headlines for March 10, 2017
- Immigrant Rights Leader Released After Hundreds Rally Outside His Check-in with Deportation Officer
- Activists Defiant on Israel's Travel Ban Targeting BDS Supporters: "It's a Sign We're Winning"
- Palestinian Hip-Hop Star Tamer Nafar Fights Racist Israeli Policies in New Film, "Junction 48"
- EFF Director: WikiLeaks Move to Share CIA Hacking Tools with Tech Giants Could "Make Us All Safer"
- Headlines for March 09, 2017
- Exclusive: Facing Likely Deportation, Immigrant Activist Ravi Ragbir Speaks Out Before ICE Check-in
- A Day Without a Woman: Voices of Resistance from New York City's Women's Strike Rally
- "We Want to Stand Up & Be Counted": New Yorkers Speak Out at NYC's Day Without a Woman Rally
Full 35-minute interview & performance by Hurray for the Riff Raff's Alynda Segarra in our Democracy Now! studio. Over the past decade, Hurray for the Riff Raff has become one of the most celebrated bands in modern folk music while tackling issues from gentrification to gender-based violence. Segarra talks about her upbringing and inspirations. She also performs four songs: "The Body Electric," "Rican Beach," "The Navigator" and "Hungry Ghost."
WikiLeaks has published what it says is the largest leak of secret CIA documents in history. The thousands of documents, dubbed "Vault 7," describe CIA programs and tools that are capable of hacking into both Apple and Android cellphones. By hacking into entire phones, the CIA is then reportedly able to bypass encrypted messenger programs such as Signal, Telegram and WhatsApp, although—contrary to many news reports—the documents do not show the CIA has developed tools to hack these encrypted services themselves. The documents also outline a CIA and British intelligence program called "Weeping Angel," through which the spy agency can hack into a Samsung smart television and turn it into a surveillance device that records audio conversations, even when it appears to be off. Other documents describe ways to hack into Skype, Wi-Fi networks, PDFs and commercial antivirus programs. The leak also shows the CIA has reportedly looked for ways to hack into cars and trucks, which WikiLeaks said "would permit the CIA to engage in nearly undetectable assassinations."
Other documents outline how the CIA has used the U.S. Consulate in Frankfurt, Germany, as a covert base to spy on Europe, the Middle East and Africa. Monday’s release totals 7,818 web pages and 943 attachments, which WikiLeaks says comes from the CIA’s Center for Cyber Intelligence in Langley, Virginia. Some of the material was redacted by WikiLeaks to avoid releasing the actual computer code used in the programs.
WikiLeaks says Monday’s release is only the first batch of many more secret CIA documents. The CIA has refused to comment on the authenticity of the documents. But at least one anonymous government official told The New York Times the documents were real, while another a former intelligence officer told the Times the code names used in the documents appeared to be accurate. WikiLeaks did not reveal the source of the leak, but did say the source "wishes to initiate a public debate about the security, creation, use, proliferation and democratic control of cyberweapons."
On Twitter, Edward Snowden said, "The CIA reports show the [U.S. Government] developing vulnerabilities in US products, then intentionally keeping the holes open. Reckless beyond words."
Backstage at the Women's March on Washington, Amy Goodman caught up with feminist icon Gloria Steinem to talk about President Trump, resistance, reproductive rights and more.
Backstage at the Women’s March on Washington, Amy Goodman caught up with America Ferrera to talk about President Trump, immigration policy, reproductive rights and more. Ferrera is a Honduran-American actress best known for her role in “Ugly Betty.”
- Headlines for March 08, 2017
- Women in More Than 50 Countries Set to Strike Today on International Women's Day
- Eve Ensler & Christine Schuler Deschryver on the Predatory Mindset of President Trump
- Hurray for the Riff Raff on Feminism, Gentrification, Gender Violence & Art in Era of Trump
- Headlines for March 07, 2017
- This is Still a Muslim Ban: Trump's New Executive Order Decried for Discriminating Based on Religion
- The GOP Fix for Obamacare: Rich Get Tax Breaks While Millions of Others Lose Healthcare
- SCOTUS Deals Setback to Trans Rights, But Trans Teen & Activist Gavin Grimm Vows to Push Forward
Part two of a debate on the ongoing mystery of Russia’s role in the 2016 U.S. election between attorney Scott Horton of Harper's Magazine and veteran investigative journalist Robert Parry of Consortium News.