- Headlines for March 06, 2017
- Advocate: DHS Proposal to Split Children from Parents at U.S. Border is "State-Sanctioned Violence"
- Advocate: Trump’s New Muslim Travel Ban Will Be As Unlawful As First Executive Order
- Meet Jocelyn Avelica, Whose Dad Was Detained by ICE While Driving his Daughter to School
- Debate: Are Trump’s Ties to Russia a Dangerous Security Issue or Critics’ Fodder for New Red Scare?
Part 2: Exposé Shows Environmental Activist Berta Cáceres Topped Kill List of U.S.-Trained Assassins
Watch part two of our discussion with the reporter behind a new investigation that reveals further ties between the killing of renowned environmental activist Berta Cáceres, Honduran military intelligence and the United States. Cáceres was assassinated one year ago in her home in La Esperanza, Honduras, just before midnight on March 2, 2016. She was the co-founder of COPINH, the Civic Council of Popular and Indigenous Organizations of Honduras. In 2015, she won the prestigious Goldman Environmental Prize for her decade-long fight against the Agua Zarca Dam, a project planned along a river sacred to the indigenous Lenca people. Eight men have been arrested as suspects in Cáceres’s killing — including one active army major and two retired military members. Two of these suspects reportedly received military training in the United States. We are joined by Nina Lakhani, a freelance journalist who has been based in Mexico and Central America for the last four years. Her recent piece for The Guardian is, "Berta Cáceres court papers show murder suspects’ links to US-trained elite troops."
See Part 1 of this interview: Revealed–Environmental Activist Berta Cáceres' Suspected Killers Received U.S. Military Training
A President Trump calls on Congress to address the "imploding Obamacare disaster," we speak with Ola Ojewumi, a disabled 26-year-old community activist who attended Trump’s speech this week as a guest of Maryland Rep. Steny Hoyer, as someone affected by the Affordable Care Act. She is a cancer survivor who has also had a kidney and heart transplant. This is part two of our conversation.
Click here to watch Part 1: Disabled Cancer Survivor Ola Ojewumi Says She Is Terrified by Trump's Push to End Obamacare
Read the related column by Amy Goodman and Denis Moynihan: A Double-Transplant Cancer Survivor Takes on Trump over Obamacare
- Headlines for March 02, 2017
- David Cay Johnston: As Jeff Sessions Scandal Brews, We Need a Public Probe of Trump's Ties to Russia
- Billionaire Wilbur Ross Confirmed Despite Questions over Ties to Russian Oligarchs Close to Putin
- Asylum Seeker Battling Brain Tumor Removed from Texas Hospital in Handcuffs, Taken to Private Jail
- Headlines for March 01, 2017
- Not My President: Muslim American Activist Linda Sarsour on Turning Down Invite to Trump Speech
- Trump Seeks Record Pentagon Budget Eclipsing Spending by Ronald Reagan & George W. Bush
- "Trump Is Resurrecting the Scare Tactics": Prof. Kelly Lytle Hernández on Trump's Deportation Plans
- Linda Sarsour: Muslim Americans Have Now Raised Over $125,000 for Vandalized Jewish Cemeteries
- In Move Recalling Nazi-Era Policies, Trump to Create Office to Track Crimes Committed by Immigrants
- Disabled Cancer Survivor Ola Ojewumi: I am Terrified by Trump's Push to End Obamacare
- Bernie Sanders Slams Trump for Ignoring Climate Change, Income Inequality & Voter Suppression
- Trump Honors Widow of Navy SEAL Killed in Yemen, But Ignores His Father's Calls for Investigation
- Linda Sarsour on March 8 "Day Without a Woman" Strike & Continuing to Organize Against Trump
- Headlines for February 28, 2017
- As Trump Pushes for Historic $54B Military Spending Hike, Which Programs Will He Cut to Pay for War?
- "Decade of Betrayal": How the U.S. Expelled Over a Half Million U.S. Citizens to Mexico in 1930s
- "Are You Muslim?": Muhammad Ali's Son & Former Wife on their Detention & Interrogation at FL Airport
- Headlines for February 27, 2017
- Committee to Protect Journalists: Trump's Attacks on Media Will Be Felt by Journalists Around World
- Rev. William Barber: The NAACP Will Boycott North Carolina over HB2 & Voter Suppression
- We Will Not Be Intimidated: Philly Rabbi Decries Desecration of Over 500 Graves at Jewish Cemetery
- Rev. William Barber on the "Season of Hate & Political Violence" Under Trump
- Keith Ellison Loses DNC Chair Race After Smear Campaign over His Support for Palestinians Rights
We speak with the filmmakers behind RISE, a new VICELAND series that examines indigenous resistance past and present, from the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation’s resistance to the Dakota Access Pipeline to “Red Power,” which looks at past indigenous resistance and the evolution of the Red Power Movement. Michelle Latimer is a Toronto based filmmaker, programmer, actor and activist of Métis and Algonquin descent; and Sarain Carson-Fox is an Anishinaabe artist, activist and the host of the series. The RISE series airs on Fridays at 9pm EST.
- Headlines for February 24, 2017
- As Calls Grow to Impeach Trump, Former Nixon Counsel John Dean Sees "Echoes of Watergate"
- John Dean: The Difference Between Trump & Nixon is Trump Says Publicly What Nixon Said on Wiretap
- NFL Star Michael Bennett on Refusing to Go to Israel, Black Lives Matter & His Love for Angela Davis
- Headlines for February 23, 2017
- "Kids Will Be Harmed by This": Trump Admin Rolls Back Protections for Transgender Students
- We Have to Keep Fighting: Water Protectors Vow Continued Resistance to #DAPL as Main Camp Is Evicted
- Days After Pruitt Becomes EPA Head, Newly Released Emails Show His Ties to Koch Bros. & Energy Firms
- Madison, Wisc. to Pay $3.3M to Family of Tony Robinson, a Black Teenager Shot by Police
- Headlines for February 17, 2017
- In First Solo Press Conference, Trump Attacks Media, Claims Admin Running Like "Fine-Tuned Machine"
- Why Did ICE Arrest & Imprison a 23-Year-Old DREAMer and DACA Recipient Living Legally in the U.S.?
- Undocumented Mother in Sanctuary in Denver Church: I've Paid Taxes for 20 Years, Why Hasn't Trump?
- Denver Church Gives Sanctuary to Immigrant Mother Facing Deportation: "We Are Not Breaking Any Laws"
- Does New Labor Secretary Nominee Alex Acosta Have the Perfect Résumé to Sabotage a Federal Agency?
- Headlines for February 15, 2017
- What Did Trump Know & When Did He Know It? White House in Crisis over Flynn & Russia Scandals
- Trump & Spicer Blame Russia Scandal on "Illegal Leaks" Rather Than Lies by Senior Officials
- Rep. Lieu on Kellyanne Conway: White House Should Not Be Used for Enriching the President's Family
- Rep. Lieu: The White House Lying & Stifling Dissent on Yemen Raid is Step Toward Authoritarianism
- Rep. Ted Lieu to Introduce Bill Requiring a Psychiatrist in White House
- Trump Security Protocols Questioned: Mar-a-Lago Resort is Not the White House Situation Room
- The Stephen Miller Story: From Pestering Latino Students in High School to Drafting Muslim Ban
Today is V-Day, a global day of action to end violence against women and girls. We speak to V-Day founder Eve Ensler and Congolese activist Christine Schuler Deschryver about V-Day, conflict minerals, the City of Joy, as well as Donald Trump and the other domestic abusers in the White House. "We haven't really gotten to the root of rape culture in America," Ensler said. "But I also think that predatory mindset is affecting everything. Right? We're gutting regulations on air, on water and on the earth. We're escalating extraction. We're seeing the ransacking of laws, a disparaging of immigrants."
- Headlines for February 14, 2017
- Pipeline Partners: Trudeau & Trump Meet as They Push for Keystone XL & Other Big Oil Projects
- Crossing the Northern Border: Immigrants in U.S. Flee into Canada Seeking Refuge from Trump
- Clayton Thomas-Muller: Rising Fascism in U.S. Is Emboldening White Supremacists in Canada
- FCC Under Trump: Net Neutrality & Internet Freedom Face New Attack
- Criminalization & Trump's ICE Raids: Two Immigrant Rights Organizers Facing Deportation Speak Out
- Headlines for February 13, 2017
- Secretary of Labor Violations? Opposition Grows to the Nomination of Fast-Food CEO Andy Puzder
- Former Carl's Jr. Worker Recalls Sexual Harassment & Wage Theft at Andrew Puzder's Restaurant Chain
- Saru Jayaraman: Trump Labor Nominee Andrew Puzder Does Not Respect Women At All
- ICE Arrests 600 in Nationwide Raids After Trump Order Expands Criminalization of Immigrants
- California vs. Trump: Lawmakers Push to Become "Sanctuary State" Despite Threats from Washington