Science is Cool! Students, Teachers, Nurses, Researchers & Sci-Fi Writers Join the March for Science
Among the thousands who braved the stormy weather and marched on Washington, D.C., as part of the first-ever global March for Science were students, teachers, nurses, researchers and even science fiction writers. Democracy Now! spoke to some of them about why they marched.
Part 2 of our conversation with award-winning reporter Shane Bauer talking about his recent article, "I Went Behind the Front Lines with the Far-Right Agitators Who Invaded Berkeley."
The United Nations is warning the risk of mass starvation is rapidly rising in Yemen, Nigeria, Somalia and South Sudan. This comes as the U.S. escalates its involvement in the Saudi-led war on Yemen. We speak to Kathy Kelly, co-coordinator of Voices for Creative Nonviolence, a campaign to end U.S. military and economic warfare. She and over a dozen other peace activists recently held a week-long vigil and fast in front of the United Nations to protest the ongoing U.S. support for the Saudi bombing of Yemen and the Saudi blockade of Yemeni ports.
Former Arkansas Death Row Inmate Damien Echols Calls on State to Halt Plans to Kill 8 Men This Month
In this web exclusive, we continue our conversation with Damien Echols, who was freed from Arkansas's death row in 2011. Over the weekend, he returned to Arkansas to protest the state's plans to execute eight men this month. Echols was one of the West Memphis Three, the young men in West Memphis, Arkansas, who were imprisoned for the 1993 slayings of three 8-year-old boys after an investigation largely fueled by unsubstantiated rumors of a Satanic ritual.
On Saturday, April 29th, Democracy Now! will provide special live coverage of the People’s Climate March in Washington, D.C., organized to protest the Trump Administration’s climate change denying agenda.
Watch five hours of special live coverage from the March for Science. Scientists from across the country gathered in Washington, D.C., to defend the vital role science plays in the nation’s health, safety, economy, and government.
In part two of our interview about a hunger strike at the for-profit Northwest Detention Center in Tacoma, Washington, we speak about their demands with Maru Mora Villalpando, an activist and undocumented immigrant with the group group Mijente; and Alexis Erickson, the partner of a hunger striker, Cristian Lopez. They have three U.S.-born children and she says, "their whole life has been turned upside down" by his detention. Lopez has since been transferred to a jail in New Mexico, where he is continuing the strike as he faces deportation.
- Headlines for April 14, 2017
- U.S. Drops Its Biggest Non-Nuclear Bomb on Afghans, Already Traumatized by Decades of War
- Afghans Respond to Insult of U.S. Dropping Massive Bomb: "Would a Mother Do That to Any Children?"
- Ralph Nader Explains Why United Airlines Has "Total Unbridled Discretion to Throw You Off a Plane"
- 700 Immigrants On Hunger Strike at For-Profit Prison to Protest Conditions & $1/Day Wages
Full interview with investigative journalist Allan Nairn on Syria, Iraq, Yemen, the need for grassroots resistance against Donald Trump and much more.
- Headlines for April 13, 2017
- Stephen Cohen: This is Most Dangerous Moment in U.S.-Russian Relations Since Cuban Missile Crisis
- Russia Vetoes U.N. Resolution on Syria as Questions Linger over Deadly Chemical Attack
- Stephen Cohen: Will Syrian State Collapse & Fall into More Chaos If Assad Is Toppled?
- Calls Grow to Fire Sean Spicer After He Says Hitler Didn't Use Chemical Weapons During Holocaust
Full interview with Julian Assange on Democracy Now!, including a debate with investigative journalist Allan Nairn.
- Headlines for April 12, 2017
- Allan Nairn: Civilian Deaths Are Spiking in Syria & Iraq as U.S. Launches Unrestrained Bombing Raids
- Trump Is Moving "Full Speed Ahead" in War in Yemen, Despite Massive Civilian Casualties
- Allan Nairn: Only Mass Disruption From Below Can Stop Right-Wing Revolution & Trump's Absolute Power
- Headlines for April 11, 2017
- El-Sisi Widens Crackdown on Egyptian Civil Society, Journalists After Palm Sunday Church Bombings
- Jeff Sessions Pushes New War on Drugs While Killing Obama-Era Police Reform Measures
- Ex-Seattle Police Chief: Jeff Sessions is Apologist for Worst Type of Policing in Country
- "We're Coming for You": Florida Sheriff Records Anti-Drug Message Surrounded by Masked SWAT Team
- Head of the NAACP LDF on United Airlines Video: Violence Is Becoming Part of Everyday Life in U.S.
- Does Trump Stand to Profit Personally Off the Wars He's Escalating in Iraq, Syria, Yemen, Somalia?
- Headlines for April 10, 2017
- A New McCarthyism: Julian Assange Accuses Democrats of Blaming Russia & WikiLeaks for Clinton Loss
- Exclusive: Julian Assange on WikiLeaks' Release of the Largest Leak of Secret CIA Documents
- Julian Assange vs. Allan Nairn: Did WikiLeaks Inform Voters or Aid Trump's Right-Wing Revolution?