Full interview with Princeton's Zia Mian about the proposed U.N. nuclear ban treaty, the U.S. boycott and the U.S. trillion-dollar plan to "modernize" its nuclear arsenal. Zia Mian is a physicist, nuclear expert and disarmament activist. He is co-director of the Program on Science and Global Security at the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Princeton University.
- Headlines for March 30, 2017
- Amnesty: Hundreds of Iraqi Civilians Killed in U.S. Airstrikes After Being Told Not to Flee Mosul
- Yemen: Trump Expands U.S. Military Role in Saudi War as Yemenis Brace for Famine
- Iona Craig on What Really Happened When U.S. Navy SEALs Stormed a Yemeni Village, Killing Dozens
- U.N. Considers a Historic Ban on Nuclear Weapons, But U.S. Leads Boycott of the Talks
Full interview with the New Yorker's Jane Mayer about her new article, "The Reclusive Hedge-Fund Tycoon Behind the Trump Presidency: How Robert Mercer Exploited America’s Populist Insurgency." The piece looks at Robert Mercer, the man who is said to have out-Koched the Koch brothers in the 2016 election.
In Vermont, two immigrant rights activists have returned home after being jailed by Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents in what local organizers say was an act of political retaliation. Twenty-four-year-old Enrique Balcazar and 23-year-old Zully Palacios are both leaders of the group Migrant Justice. They were arrested by undercover ICE agents in Burlington, Vermont, earlier this month as they were leaving the Migrant Justice office. Balcazar, who is known as Kike, serves on Vermont Attorney General T.J. Donovan’s immigration task force, which was created to respond to the Trump administration’s immigration policies. "There are so many innocent people still in there. There are so many who have their dreams cut short, so many who have families waiting for them at home," Palacios said. "There are so many people we have in captivity, and it’s not fair." A third activist with Migrant Justice, 23-year-old Cesar Alex Carrillo, remains in detention. He was arrested by ICE outside a courthouse two days before Zully and Kike were arrested.
Meanwhile, in Seattle, Washington, lawyers for undocumented DREAMer Daniel Ramirez Medina say he’s been granted bond and will be released later today. He’s been jailed by ICE for six weeks, after being arrested when ICE agents came to his father’s home. He was jailed even though he has permission to live and work in the United States under President Obama’s DACA program.
Part 2 of our conversation with Rebecca Solnit, one of the nation's most celebrated writers. She's the author of more than 20 books, including, most recently, "The Mother of All Questions."
Anti-apartheid activist Ahmed Kathrada has died at the age of 87. Kathrada, better known as Kathy, was a member of the African National Congress. In 1963 he was arrested with other ANC leaders, and went on to spend 26 years in prison — 18 of them on Robben Island along with Nelson Mandela. He later served as President Mandela's parliamentary adviser. In 2014 Ahmed Kathrada spoke in Visby, Sweden. He began by talking about Nelson Mandela’s famous statement during his trial in 1961.
- Headlines for March 28, 2017
- Local Lawmakers Fight Back Against AG Sessions's Threats to Cut Funding to Sanctuary Cities
- ICE Retaliates Against Immigrants in Austin After Sheriff Limits Cooperation with Federal Agents
- As ICE Retaliates Against Austin, Learn How New Haven Fought Back Against a 2007 ICE Crackdown
- Immigrant Communities in Fear as Trump Ups ICE Raids Targeting Sanctuary Cities
- Rebecca Solnit on Climate Change, Resistance, Misogyny and "The Mother of All Questions"
- Headlines for March 27, 2017
- After Republican Infighting Dooms GOP Healthcare Plan, Trump Vows to Let Obamacare "Explode"
- Medicare for All? Sen. Bernie Sanders Poised to Push for Single Payer after GOP Plan Falls Apart
- More Than 1,000 Civilians Reportedly Killed by U.S.-Led Airstrikes as Trump Expands War on Terror
- Bill McKibben: Trump May Have Approved Keystone XL, But People Will Stop This Pipeline Again
- Headlines for March 24, 2017
- Will House Republicans "Jump Off the Cliff" and Cut Healthcare for 24 Million Americans?
- Attorney for "Frozen Trucker": Neil Gorsuch May Have Been Most Hostile Judge I've Ever Encountered
- Watch: Sen. Al Franken Grills Neil Gorsuch on Frozen Trucker Case in Extended Questioning
- Florida's First Black State Attorney Faces Death Threats After Refusing Death Penalty for Cop Killer
- Headlines for March 23, 2017
- Jane Mayer on Robert Mercer & the Dark Money Behind Trump and Bannon
- Dark Money Billionaires Push for Pro-Nuclear Radiation Climate Denier for White House Science Post
- Dark Data: Trump Backers Bankroll Firm Developing Psychological Profiles of Every U.S. Voter
- Headlines for March 22, 2017
- A Driver Fled His Truck to Avoid Freezing to Death. Only One Judge Ruled Against Him: Neil Gorsuch
- Neil Gorsuch, Backed by $10 Million in Dark Money, Refuses to Weigh In on Citizens United
- Sen. Schumer Calls on Democrats to Boycott Neil Gorsuch Vote While Trump is Under FBI Investigation
- Meet 2 U.S. Citizens Detained at Airports: A Police Chief and a Lawyer Who Sued Trump Administration
- Headlines for March 21, 2017
- Behind Neil Gorsuch's Rhetoric, His Record Suggests Aggressive Judge Wedded to Conservative Agenda
- Inside How the Federalist Society & Koch Brothers Are Pushing for Trump to Reshape Federal Judiciary
- FBI Head: Trump Campaign Under Investigation for Ties to Russia; No Evidence Obama Wiretapped Trump
James Comey Confirms FBI Probe of Trump Campaign over Ties with Russian Government Ahead of Election
On Monday FBI Director James Comey confirmed an FBI probe into the Trump campaign over Russian interference in the election and denied the president's claim that former President Barack Obama wiretapped Trump Tower.
Comey said the FBI was "investigating the nature of any links between individuals associated with the Trump campaign and the Russian government and whether there was any coordination between the campaign and Russia's efforts."
Comey went on to say, "With respect to the president's tweets about alleged wiretapping directed at him by the prior administration, I have no information that supports those tweets."
- Headlines for March 20, 2017
- Zephyr Teachout: Supreme Court Pick Neil Gorsuch "Sides with Big Business, Big Donors & Big Bosses"
- Ari Berman Reveals Neil Gorsuch Praised a Leading GOP Activist Behind Voter Suppression Efforts
- College Classmate: Neil Gorsuch Attacked Anti-Apartheid & Civil Rights Protesters & Defended Contras
- Amid Spike in Civilian Deaths from U.S. Strikes, Trump Requests Lifting Policy Limiting Casualties
- Organizer: ICE Detention of Immigrant Rights Activists in VT is Clear Case of Political Retaliation
- Headlines for March 17, 2017
- Trump's Budget Director Mick Mulvaney Insists Cutting Meals for Poor Seniors is Compassionate
- Ralph Nader Denounces Trump Budget as Corporatist, Militarist & Racist: "The Mask is Off"
- Is Trump Counterterrorism Aide Sebastian Gorka a Sworn Member of Hungarian Nazi-Allied Group?
- Headlines for March 16, 2017
- In Stinging Blow to President, Hawaii & Maryland Judges Block Trump's Second Muslim Ban
- Rep. Gutiérrez Speaks Out After Being Handcuffed for Demanding Answers on ICE Raids & Deportations
- Complete Idiocy: Rep. Gutiérrez Slams Rep. King's Racist Tweet About "Somebody Else's Babies"
- ACLU Lawyer Esha Bhandari on Your Rights If Border Agents Try to Seize Your Cell Phone at the Border
- In Historic Report, U.N. Agency Says Israel Is Imposing an "Apartheid Regime" on Palestinian People
- Headlines for March 15, 2017
- David Cay Johnston Speaks Out About Receiving & Revealing 2 Pages of Trump's 2005 Tax Returns
- David Cay Johnston: How Trump Pays So Little in Taxes and Plans to Change Tax Law to Pay Even Less
- Aid Worker Decries U.S.-Backed "Relentless War" in Yemen Causing Widespread Threat of Starvation
- Trump Considers Slashing U.S. Funding to U.N. Amid Warnings of Worst Humanitarian Crisis Since WWII
- Arkansas Rushes to Execute 8 Men Using Drug Linked to Painful, Botched Executions
- Headlines for March 14, 2017
- Healthcare or Wealthcare? 24 Million to Lose Insurance Under GOP Plan While Rich Get Big Tax Breaks
- ALEC & For-Profit Health Industry Embrace GOP Bill Despite Opposition from Doctors & Nurses
- Was Firing of U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara Done to Cover Up Probes of Trump & Fox News?
- Is Jared Kushner Breaking the Law with $400M Real Estate Deal with Firm Tied to Chinese Gov't?
- From Lobbyists to Reality Show Stars, Meet the Hundreds of Officials Trump Has Quietly Installed
- Headlines for March 13, 2017
- How to Remove a President: Mass Protests Force Out South Korean Leader Amid Corruption Scandal
- Bruce Cumings: North Korea Timed Recent Missile Test to Take Place During Trump-Abe Dinner
- China Warns U.S. & North Korea Are Set for "Head-On" Collision Amid Rising Tensions & Provocations
- Mustafa Ali: Meet the Top EPA Environmental Justice Official Who Quit to Protest Pruitt & Trump