- Headlines for January 23, 2017
- Women's March on Washington: Historic Protest Three Times Larger Than Trump's Inaugural Crowd
- Voices of the Women's March: Angela Davis, Gloria Steinem, Madonna, Alicia Keys, Janet Mock & More
- Naomi Klein, Alicia Garza, Ralph Nader & Others Respond to Trump's "America First" Inaugural Address
Investigative reporter Wayne Barrett has died at age 71 of complications of interstitial lung disease in Manhattan.
News of Barrett's death broke as thousands protested in Central Park against the inauguration of Donald Trump, a man he began covering in the 1970s. His 1991 biography of Donald Trump was republished last year in paperback with the title of "Trump: The Greatest Show on Earth: The Deals, the Downfall, the Reinvention."
Barrett continued to cover Trump during the 2016 presidential campaign even though he was largely homebound due to lung cancer. Above, watch part of our 2016 interview with him about how Trump profited from public subsidies and political favors.
"I think he represents not just a danger to America, but because we are such an influence in the world, it’s really a shocking threat to the world," Barrett said in another part of the extended interview on Democracy Now!. "And so, you know, I’m in a sick bed a lot, but he gets me up out of it."
Most recently Barrett reported for the New York Daily News and The Daily Beast, and before that he worked for nearly four decades at the Voice before he was laid off in 2011. At the Voice he exposed corruption and broke stories on New York’s elected officials, including former mayors Ed Koch and Rudy Giuliani. His also wrote books on the two men: "City for Sale: Ed Koch and the Betrayal of New York" and "Grand Illusion: The Untold Story of Rudy Giuliani and 9/11."
The prolific writer was also a beloved mentor to hundreds of young journalists. "I tell the young people still drawn to this duty that it is the most honorable one in America, and that I have never met a corrupt journalist," he wrote in his final column for the Voice.
"It makes you live and breathe, a good story," Barrett told Democracy Now! in 2011.
Watch more of Barrett's interviews about Donald Trump:
- Headlines for January 19, 2017
- On Final Day of Obama Presidency, a Look at His Mixed Legacy & the Rise of Neo-Fascism in Washington
- Rashid Khalidi: Obama's Condemnation of Israeli Occupation Doesn't Match His Last 8 Years in Office
- Climate Denier Scott Pruitt Faces Protests at Senate Hearing as 2016 Is Declared Hottest Year Ever
- Trump Picks Agribusiness & Chemical Industry Darling Sonny Perdue as Secretary of Agriculture
- Dr. Sidney Wolfe on HHS Nominee Tom Price's "Cruel" Plans to Repeal the Affordable Care Act
In New York City, over 100 people set up a protest encampment outside the headquarters of financial giant Goldman Sachs, which they are calling "Government Sachs." At least six of Trump's top advisers and Cabinet picks are tied to Goldman Sachs: treasury secretary nominee Steven Mnuchin, National Economic Council Director Gary Cohn, Trump chief strategist Stephen Bannon, Securities and Exchange Commission chairman nominee Jay Clayton, senior White House adviser Anthony Scaramucci and senior counselor for economic initiatives Dina Habib Powell.
- Headlines for January 18, 2017
- Chelsea Manning's Attorneys: Obama's Commutation Will Help Save Life of Jailed Army Whistleblower
- Jeremy Scahill on Obama's Commutation of Chelsea Manning & Continued Demonization of Edward Snowden
- Oscar López Rivera to Be Freed as Obama Commutes Sentence for Puerto Rican Independence Activist
- Activists Call on Obama to Pardon Leonard Peltier, Warning He'll Die in Prison Otherwise
- Jeremy Scahill: Did Education Nominee Betsy DeVos Lie to Senate About Ties to Anti-LGBT Foundation?
- Scahill: Blackwater Founder Erik Prince, the Brother of Betsy DeVos, Is Secretly Advising Trump
The Intercept's Matthew Cole reports that Rep. Ryan Zinke, President-elect Donald Trump's pick to be secretary of the interior, committed travel fraud when he was a member of the elite Navy SEAL Team 6, according to three former unit leaders and a military consultant.
- Headlines for January 13, 2017
- James Mattis Calls for U.S. Military to Be More Lethal at Defense Secretary Confirmation Hearing
- Defense Secretary Nominee James Mattis Pledges to Enforce Iran Nuclear Deal Criticized by Trump
- Trump's Pick for Defense Sec'y Made Millions in Defense Industry After His 2013 Retirement
- Sent to the "Back of the Bus"? 3 Black Members of Congress Testify at End of Sessions's Confirmation
Watch our extended interview with Aaron Glantz, a senior reporter at Reveal from The Center for Investigative Reporting. He covered the siege of Fallujah, Iraq, as an unembedded journalist, and his latest investigation examines whether President-elect Donald Trump's pick for defense secretary committed war crimes there while leading U.S. troops in 2004.
- Headlines for January 12, 2017
- Trump Ignores Ethics Experts Urging Him to Divest from His Businesses & Puts Sons In Charge Instead
- Committee to Protect Journalists: Watch Out for "Leak Investigations" Targeting Journos Under Trump
- Do Exxon's Climate Denial & "Trail of Carnage" on Human Rights Make Tillerson Unfit for State Dept?
- Investigation: Did Trump's Defense Secretary Nominee James Mattis Commit War Crimes in Iraq?
Rev. Dr. William Barber, President of the North Carolina NAACP, and Moral Mondays leader, joins us for an extended discussion on President Obama's legacy and the steps forward, and the death sentence handed down this week for Dylann Roof, for his murder of nine black worshipers at the Emanuel AME church in Charleston, South Carolina.
We continue our conversation with reporter Matthew Cole about his stunning new exposé published this week in The Intercept about the elite military unit SEAL Team 6 reveals a darker side of the group best known for killing Osama bin Laden. National security reporter Matthew Cole spent two years investigating accounts of ghastly atrocities committed by members of the unit, including mutilating corpses, skinnings and attempted beheadings. According to sources, senior command staff were aware of the misconduct but did little to stop it—and often helped to cover it up.
- Headlines for January 11, 2017
- Rep. Luis Gutiérrez & Rev. William Barber on Racist, Xenophobic Record of Trump's Atty. Gen. Nominee
- Rep. Luis Gutiérrez on Why He Will Not Attend Trump Inauguration & Will Instead Join Women's March
- We Challenged President Obama, He Listened & Acted: Rep. Luis Gutiérrez on Obama's Farewell & Legacy
- Will Obama Grant Clemency to Puerto Rican Independence Activist Oscar López Rivera?
As Republicans in the newly sworn-in 115th Congress are moving swiftly to repeal the Affordable Care Act, President Obama’s signature healthcare law, we continue our extended interview with Dr. Steffie Woolhandler, a primary care physician and co-founder of Physicians for a National Health Program.
- Headlines for January 10, 2017
- ACLU & NAACP: Jeff Sessions Unfit for Post Defending Civil Rights & Enforcing Laws on Discrimination
- Florida Prepares to Expand Gun Rights After Second Mass Shooting in Six Months
- New Intercept Exposé Uncovers SEAL Team 6's Ghastly Trail of Atrocities, Mutilations, Killings
Watch an excerpt from Meryl Streep's acceptance speech when she won the Lifetime Achievement Award at Sunday night's Golden Globes. The Academy Award-winning actress used her address to call for protections for the free press and to criticize President-elect Donald Trump without ever speaking his name, saying the performance that most stunned her this year was Trump's mocking imitation of a disabled reporter during the 2016 presidential campaign.
- Headlines for January 09, 2017
- Senate to Begin Confirmation Hearings for Wealthiest Cabinet in U.S. History Despite Lack of Vetting
- Protests Erupt in Kentucky After GOP Supermajority Passes Extreme Anti-Choice, Anti-Union Bills
- Repeal & Run? Republicans Move to Axe Obamacare, But What Will Replacement Look Like?
- Headlines for January 06, 2017
- Glenn Greenwald: Democrats Eager to Blame "Everybody But Themselves" for Collapse of Their Party
- What Impact Will Trump Presidency Have on Freedom of Edward Snowden & Julian Assange?
- Glenn Greenwald: U.S. Intel Chiefs Alleging Russian Threat Have History of Deceiving the Public
- "This is Not a Coup, But It's Not Normal": Trump Picks 3 Generals for Top Foreign Policy Posts